A data layer is a consistent layer of structured information behind-the-scenes of your website.
Data layers act as a common dictionary of information to help drive your users experiences, and for your supporting digital marketing and analytics applications (like Insightech).
This might include information like:
Insightech Automatically Tracks Your dataLayer Object
By default Insightech
- If your data layer object has the default name of "dataLayer" then Insightech will automatically identify and capture everything that gets pushed into this object.
- If you are using a custom data layer name (e.g. 'myDataLayerName'), you will
Here is an example of what might exist in your data layer.
In this example we can see multiple attributes that we can search for:
- event_label (order ID)
- ecommerce - currency code
- ecommerce - purchase details
- ecommerce - products in order
You will also notice that data points are either:
- Don't have any layers under them (e.g. event_action)
- Are multiple levels deep (e.g. ecommerce --> purchase --> actionField --> id).
We will talk about each of these examples below when we explain how to search for your dataLayer events in Insightech.
How to Search for Datalayer Events in Insightech
When putting in your filter or segment conditions from Insightech's dashboard, we will look through events that occur on the website, and select the Data Layer Event.
FOLLOW THESE STEPS
- Select Data Layer Event from the events drop down list
- Select JSON Path
- Enter the path of the attribute
- Select your condition (is / contains / etc)
- Enter the value you want to search for
In the example below, we might want to search for the order number, stored under ecommerce --> purchase --> actionField --> id.
The JSON path of this element is ecommerce.purchase.actionField.id, and we would set it to look for the value 23226401
For more help on how to use your data layer in Insightech, simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.